Friday, April 2, 2021

ZenAurora Technique


I read about this colorful technique HERE on Jem Miller's The Ragged Ray blog and Apple Lim CZT has a YouTube video about it HERE.

I really wanted to try it out but I don't have any brush pens. What I do have is a set of probably 30-year-old Crayola markers that were my son's when he was young. Surprisingly, they still work perfectly after so many years. Only the green marker had crystallized but I was able to use it in spite of that.

For this tile, I used the brown, yellow, orange, red, pink, purple, blue and green markers and I also mixed some of the colors. I didn't draw any particular tangles. I just scribbled whatever came to mind as I filled the space. I did have some issues with my white gel pens here and there but that's nothing new. At least they worked much better over the marker ink than they do over colored pencil. I used size 08 and 10 Gelly Roll pens.

I'm posting the same tile on two different colored backgrounds. I find it interesting how the eye is drawn to the part of the tile that coordinates with the background color.

2 comments:

  1. It's great that your son's old markers still worked. I'm sure many pens made now wouldn't last 30 years! The colours are so vivid in your piece. And your stripes of tangles really show off the shift. I hope you had fun doing it, and thanks for sharing the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did have fun with it. Now I have to decide if I should buy some brush pens in some nicer colors. I was pretty much limited to basic primary colors.

      Delete