Thursday, November 12, 2020

Today's Tangle - Lapwing


Today's tile also features "Lapwing" but this time I used it to fill my tile instead of drawing it as a ribbon. "Lapwing" is by Lucy Farran CZT and her pattern is posted HERE at TanglePatterns.

There has been some discussion about how similar Lucy's "Lapwing" is to "Mazorito" by Ria Matheussen. I posted the image below in yesterday's blog post to illustrate the subtle difference that I see between them. If you read about Ria's pattern HERE and Lucy's pattern HERE, you will see that they were both inspired by different designs that they had seen out in the world and I'm sure that Lucy didn't intend to copy Ria's pattern. Many patterns that we call tangles have actually been around for hundreds or even thousands of years. In fact, quite a few of the official Zentangle patterns, such as "Shattuck", "Paradox" and "Huggins", are based on ancient designs.


2 comments:

  1. very pretty. must take a long time to do these. very meditative I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacey. Yes, I find it very enjoyable.

      Delete