Thursday, July 25, 2019

Today's Tangle - Kaas


"Kaas" is by Emiko Kaneko CZT and her step-out is posted HERE at TanglePatterns.com. I first saw this design on the Zentangle Mosaic app the other day and was very excited to give it a try. I'm partial to grid tangles but this one proved to be a little more difficult than it looked. It requires some guesswork when it comes to the sizes and spacing of some of the elements. I really wanted to draw this so I just went for it and tried not to worry about getting everything exactly right. I drew the tile above first and it's very similar to the example tile that Emiko posted on Mosaic. She also has it posted HERE on Instagram if you'd like to take a look.

I was quite pleased with my first attempt in spite of its imperfections so I drew two more tiles last night which you can see below.


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful tangle and beautiful examples. You're right that it takes a bit of patience to get it lined up in a tidy way. But there is so much potential for variation. And that sense of the layers weaved together is stunning. My favourite is you middle one - the contrast of the rich red and the muted blue really appeals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jem. The woven look is what appealed to me as well. I'm so glad that I didn't give up without giving it a proper try.

      Delete
    2. I just remembered that there is also sage green on the middle tile. It's a very subtle color that didn't show up well in my scan. I used it on the square frames. I went with three colors to avoid having red and green looking like Christmas or red and blue looking like the American flag.

      Delete