Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Today's Tangles - Mathura & Southwest Mathura


This was such a fun project that I drew four tiles. The tangle in the center of both of these tiles is called "Mathura" and is by Anne Marks. You'll find her step-out HERE. To learn how to draw and color these southwest-style tiles, check out THIS YouTube tutorial by Romi Borax Marks. Romi explains step-by-step how to draw the designs and how to color them.

I drew the tile above first and used colors that are similar to the ones that Romi used in the video. I wasn't particularly careful about the size and placement of the objects on this tile because I was just learning how to draw it. I used a tile made from cream colored card stock.



For my second tile, I drew everything more carefully and neatly. I also had a better idea of what to look for when choosing my colors. I'm very happy with the way this one came out in spite of the white Gelly Roll malfunction when trying to draw the squiggly lines near the center. The darn thing kept starting and stopping. For this tile I used kraft paper card stock which gave everything a deeper color. The dark paper also made the white gel pen designs pop more than on my first tile.



I used more muted colors on this third tile and I wasn't sure if I would like it. I kept going and finished it and was very happy after adding the white highlights. They really are what makes this design pop no matter what colors are used.


I used the same colored pencils on this tile as the previous one. They look much brighter because I drew this one on a cream colored tile instead of a dark kraft paper tile. This time I added some metallic copper accents.


4 comments:

  1. What fun! They look like ceramic tiles.

    Barbara H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are a lot of fun to draw which is why I drew so many of them.

      Delete
  2. These are great Linda - you've certainly got the hang of Romi's technique!

    Very interesting to see the one where you used the same colours on two different papers. Would be interesting to experiment further with that - see the change that the paper brings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jem. It is interesting to see how colors react to different colored papers. Some pencil colors come out muted on kraft paper and other colors really pop and almost look fluorescent. It's even more dramatic when coloring on black tiles. On black, some colors are almost invisible and others look neon.

      Delete