Sunday, September 22, 2019

Today's Tangle - Snag


"Snag" is a pattern by Jem Miller and her step-out is posted HERE on her blog and also HERE at TanglePatterns.com. I drew mine in a square grid as directed but decided to erase the grid when I was finished. Rather than do any shading, I drew a double graphite aura inside and out.

I guess that I'm a little slow but I couldn't make out at first how Jem's second version of "Snag" was related to the first version on the step-out. After typing this post I was looking at some of her example images and it finally dawned on me that the technique is the same for both even though the results look very different. Earlier I had tried and given up drawing the alternate version even though I really like the look of it. That's because I was trying to draw the shape all in one go and it always came out a horrible mess. I know now that isn't the way to draw it. Instead you draw each of the loop shapes individually so that their bases touch each other in the centers and in the corners.

Below is a tile featuring the alternate version of "Snag":

2 comments:

  1. I love your explorations with Snag Linda. Thanks for playing with it, and decoding the connection between the first and the second version - yes, it's all about that loopy stroke, and how you use it. It's a tangle, that with hindsight, is hard to tame into tidiness, but sometimes a pop of the unruly is just what you need.

    I really like the addition of the subtle auras on your first piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jem. Yeah, I don't think it will ever be tidy but it is fun.

      Delete