Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Today's Tangle - Amazing Spider


Someone on Facebook asked me if it matters where you start drawing this pattern on the grid. I didn't know the answer to that question so I gave it a try. It turns out that where you start the first "spider" can make a difference in how the design looks in the corners.

On today's tile I drew the first spider in one of the corners of the grid and I was pleased to find that it came out much more symmetrical when done that way. Each corner of the tile has a fan in it instead of odd bits and pieces of the other shapes. Below are five diagrams that illustrate the steps that I use when drawing this pattern in order to get fans in the corners.



I start with a 7x7 square pencil grid and draw the first spider as shown above.


Next I draw dots where the centers of each spider will be positioned on the grid. If you look closely, you'll see that there is a regular pattern for the placement of the dots. They run in diagonal lines with three grid squares between each dot going horizontally and vertically.


Next I add a circle at every grid intersection that doesn't have a dot.


Above you can see the first diagonal row of spiders.


The diagram above shows the next row of spiders in red. I rotated the tile all the way around so that I could draw them in the same direction as the first row of spiders. Remember that the six legs of the spiders always go from a dot to a circle and never from a circle to a circle.

"Amazing Spider" is by Hennie Brouwer and she posted her pattern HERE on Facebook.
The step-out is also available HERE at Pattern-Collections.  Ellen Wolters has a video tutorial HERE.

Below I've posted one of my previous "Amazing Spider" tiles so that you can see how different the corners look when you draw the first spider near the middle of the grid as shown on the step-out:

No comments:

Post a Comment