Thursday, August 29, 2019

Official Zentangle® Pattern - Scarabou


I hadn't drawn or blogged about "Scarabou" before now because I had no idea how to draw it correctly. I saw an unofficial step-out on Pinterest but it is too vague and doesn't produce the right results. I have also seen a few examples of "Scarabou" that were drawn by CZTs and I suspect that they are probably closer to the way that the Zentangle folks intend for it to look. However, I couldn't even guess how or where to start drawing the pattern by looking at those examples.

Click HERE to see the unofficial step-out that I mentioned. I really don't see any logical way to draw "Scarabou" by following this step-out or THIS YouTube video tutorial by Ellen Wolters. Those hook shapes just don't make any sense to me.

So, I was very excited when I saw THIS recent video by The Tireless Tangler (Cyndee Pelley CZT). I thought that surely she would know how to properly draw this tangle because as a CZT she has access to the unpublished Zentangle step-outs and I was right. She breaks it down into simple steps that make it quite easy to draw what looks like a very complex design. There are really only three steps involved plus a fourth step where you add an aura around the whole thing. And, as with most tangle patterns, you can tweak and embellish it in many ways. I chose to draw mine very simply but used some color and added an extra metallic copper aura and dots for embellishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment