Monday, August 26, 2019

Today's Tangle - Elegan


"Elegan" is by Tangle Dream. There is no step-out for this tangle but she has a YouTube video HERE that shows how to draw it. She makes it look very easy but I struggled with it. In fact, I had tried to draw it a couple of times before but I gave up in frustration and put the pattern on the bottom of the pile for a while. Free form designs don't come easily to me even though I love the beauty of them and hope to improve my skills with practice.

I love the William Morris look of "Elegan" so much that I decided to give it another go recently and it finally clicked. I started by lightly drawing two boundary guide lines in pencil which helped keep the sizes and positioning consistent. I was so excited and pleased with my first tile below that I forgot one step where you add leafy shapes in the black areas between the Mooka-like shapes. I remembered to add them in the example above.

I was so happy to have successfully drawn this twice that I decided not to add any color or other embellishments that might mess up my hard work. As much as I'd love to, I'm not sure if I will attempt to draw this design as a complete border like she shows how to do in THIS video. She also shows another method for drawing this pattern in THIS video. I got better results using her original method though because I found that drawing the wavy guidelines was more of a challenge for me than simply drawing the design as shown in the original video.


5 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Linda - but I can imagine it would have been challenging to tangle. Well done on persevering - it's a really elegant piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy I found this! I've been looking all over for a stepout for Elegan ... and now I know why I couldn't find it. :) Your drawings are SO beautiful, Linda! Gracefully composed, beautifully shaded and aura'd so effectively. Thank you for posting both. Although I will watch the video(s), I really prefer to have a completed tangle in front of me so I can see where I'm headed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan and I agree with you completely. When I watch a video, I usually take a screenshot of the final drawing and print it out before I draw it myself.

      Delete
    2. Just want to add that I sometimes take screenshots of a video at various stages to create my own "step-out".

      Delete