Thursday, January 23, 2020

Today's Tangle - Khala


"Khala" is a pattern by Anica Gabrovec CZT (aka Zen Linea). Her pattern step-out is posted HERE on Instagram. Anica also has a YouTube tutorial where she shows a slightly different way of drawing "Khala" and you can watch it HERE. It's also possible to draw this design in other shapes but I haven't attempted that yet so I'm not sure how it's done.

I found this pattern very challenging to draw and I had no luck following the step-out. However, I found it a bit easier when I followed the steps in the video. That's due to one step near the beginning that is missing from the step-out.

Although I did successfully draw today's tile, I did have to do a lot of sketching in pencil first to get the elements positioned properly and at the right sizes. I started with a triangle template that I cut from card stock and traced on my tile in pencil. Next, I added the crossing guidelines that Anica shows in the step-out and in the video tutorial. Then I lightly penciled in two triangular auras just inside the outline of the triangle in the thickness that I thought I wanted and rounded the corners a bit. After that I penciled in the center orb and the scallops that radiate from it as shown in the video (this is what is missing from the step-out). The scallops helped me see where to sketch six circles where the six loops would go. By sketching all of this in pencil, I was able to make adjustments as I went along. Although this was very helpful, and I'm quite pleased with the results, it was still a challenge to get everything the right shapes and sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment