Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Official Zentangle® Patterns - Bumper, Quandary, Strircles, Umble and Ynix

Although there are official step-outs for quite a few Zentangle® tangles, many either don't have published step-outs or they are reserved for CZTs and are not available to the general public. By doing many searches online, I have managed to track down official step-outs, un-official step-outs by CZTs and other people or I've found example tiles or videos featuring every pattern on the current list of about 170 Zentangle tangles. Sometimes I had to examine several examples of a tangle before it became clear to me what the tangle actually looks like in its official form. There are also some very elusive tangles that only CZTs have access to that took me a long time to find but I have found every one of them through a lot of hard searching and research.

Below are five more official Zentangle patterns:



There is an official step-out for "Strircles" HERE in a Zentangle newsletter.



There is also an official step-out for "Quandary" HERE. I've found several videos about this tangle HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE and one of them shows how to draw it on a grid.

I drew both of my examples using a grid which made it a lot easier to keep the rice shapes where I wanted them. I drew my second example below on a wonky grid to make it look more like I'd drawn it free-form.



Although I have found some unofficial step-outs for "Ynix" on Pinterest, there were no links to the sources for them. I had to rely on example tiles that I found on blogs and the like to identify the proper way to draw this tangle. Melinda Barlow CZT does have a video about this tangle but she draws her own variation of it HERE. THIS video demonstrates the pattern more like what I think is the original version. It's basically a cluster or "branch" of leafy shapes with or without an aura around them. Most of the examples that I've seen show empty "leaves" but Melinda fills hers with different tangles.



"Umble" does have an official step-out HERE in the Zentangle newsletter. Melinda Barlow has a video HERE and Bunte Galerie has one HERE.



"Bumper" is one that doesn't have a step-out or I couldn't find one anywhere. I found several tiles that featured this tangle
on various blogs and Melinda Barlow has a video HERE about it.

4 comments:

  1. I learned Ynix from the One Zentangle a Day book and in that it's taught to look just like your example.

    Mimi Lempart discusses the tangle here and compares it to her tangle called Spangle -

    http://tangledplanet.blogspot.com/2013/08/spanglea-new-tangleor-tangleation.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, Jem. Mimi's Spangle looks a lot like the way that Melinda Barlow draws Ynix in her video.

      Delete
  2. Bumper got changed to "Locar" (according to Linda Farmer on her tanglepatterns website) and the step out is found here https://www.pinterest.com/pin/16747829841632606/

    ReplyDelete