Monday, March 25, 2019

Today's Tangle - PiCanta


I found this interesting pattern called "PiCanta" HERE at Pattern-Collections.com. It's by Ulima Dennhardt. MimiXY has a YouTube video HERE.

UPDATE: The Pattern-Collections website has shut down. Click HERE to view this pattern.

I almost gave up on this pattern after drawing the first step as shown on the step-out because it's not a very intuitive way to draw this design. Instead of abandoning it, I decided to see if I could figure out an easier way to draw it and I did. I start by drawing a big curvy "V" shape. It felt very natural then to add the "D" shaped petals that swoop down to the bottom and form the small "V" shapes on either side. It also works well to draw from the bottom up. I found that out when I had to draw a partial shape that was going off the edge of my tile.

After finding a new way to draw this pattern, I wasn't sure what to do with it. I drew a few samples of it in the flower shape that you'll see on the step-out but I really wanted something a little different. So, I drew the shapes along a string. I think they look very fun this way, especially with the diamonds that I drew in the empty spaces between them on the string.

I enjoyed drawing "PiCanta" so much that I also drew the tile below. If you look closely, you'll see that I had some color issues. I was using metallic colored pencils and the magenta one apparently has too much pigment and it turned my cream color tile pink and left some ugly smudges here and there. My hand must have been smearing the color around as I was drawing. I like it so I didn't scrap it. I drew these with some whimsical touches. I originally colored the gold bits with a metallic gold colored pencil but decided later to go over them with a metallic gold gel pen. I didn't add any shading to either of these tiles simply because I thought it would be distracting.


4 comments:

  1. Love what you did with this and your way of drawing it is far better. There's a real jester quality to the second tile.

    The basic shape of the tangle reminds me of Whirlee - have you used that? I haven't in a long time but really love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jem. I haven't tried Whirlee so I looked it up at TanglePatterns. Both tangles do have a look of maple tree seeds. I think we called them helicopters or spinny things when we were kids so I didn't know that they were from maple trees until I read Linda's description for Whirlee. I might give it a whirl, ha ha.

      Delete
    2. Here they are mostly from sycamore trees. We called them helicopters or sycamore keys!

      Delete
    3. Although I live in Texas now, I grew up in Michigan. I don't know if we had sycamore trees there but I know that we did have maple trees.

      Delete