Thursday, February 20, 2020

Today's Tangle - Fireworks-Swirl


This fun pattern called "Fireworks-Swirl" is by Katja Haarmann. The step-out is found HERE at Pattern-Collections. Mimi has a video HERE and Dawn Collins has one HERE.

UPDATE: The Pattern-Collections website has shut down. Click HERE to view this pattern.

To make the tiny silver "beads", I made dots with a metallic silver gel pen then added a very light graphite shadow below each one. Without the shadows they were almost invisible on my gray tile.

4 comments:

  1. The little end dots seem to me to be the hardest part of this. Getting the white and the black on each to show light and make them "real" looks like attention required would be intense. Love all of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really wasn't that difficult to achieve. I actually drew black dots first then decided that they needed some sparkle so I went over them with the silver gel pen. As I mentioned, the silver didn't show up very well so I very lightly made a graphite smudge just below and a little to the right of each dot. I rotated my tile as I went along adding the shadows. It did take some time because there are so many of them but it was pleasant work. I just remembered that I didn't bother using a tortillon on the tiny shadows because I drew them so lightly. I was also worried that the tortillon might scratch off the silver ink.

      Delete
  2. Interesting tangle - it's sort of like Arukas meets Love Handles! Visually quite interesting though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about those other tangles but I see what you mean. This was a fun one.

      Delete