Sunday, June 16, 2019

Today's Tangles - More Lacy Designs


I had a lot of fun drawing the "Mintea" lace tiles that I blogged about the other day HERE so I was eager to try the lace technique with other designs. I looked through my stash of tangle patterns and came up with a few ideas to try. None of them turned out as well as "Mintea" but they are pretty. One thing that I discovered is that if the patterns are very intricate, dark shading doesn't look all that great as you'll see in some of my examples below.

The tile above features "Gardenia" which is one of my favorites to draw. By adding an aura all the way around it, I was able to turn it into eyelet lace. "Gardenia" is by HElena and you'll find the pattern HERE on her blog.

UPDATE: Her blog is closed to the public now but I found the step-out HERE on Pinterest.


I realized after drawing this tile, that the pattern is a little too busy to look much like lace. It is pretty though and I always enjoy drawing "Miss 1969". The pattern is by Ellen Wolters and it is posted HERE at Pattern-Collections.com.

UPDATE: The Pattern-Collections website has shut down. Click HERE to view this pattern.


Next I tried "Creevagh" as lace but I wasn't happy with the dark shading on the example above. It just looks messy so I erased it and re-did it as you can see below. I used the lightest pencil that I have and just faintly outlined the parts that are shaded so that I wouldn't have to use a tortillon to blend it. I found that blending made it look too smudgy.

"Creevagh" is by Neil Burley and his pattern is found HERE on his blog.



I had the same issue with the shading on example of "Flossie" above. Once again, I erased the shading and did it again much more lightly as you can see below. "Flossie" is by Suzanne Mitchel and the pattern is HERE at Pattern-Collections.com.

UPDATE: The Pattern-Collections website has shut down. Click HERE to view this pattern.



I used "Lotus Surprise" for my final lace tile and I love how it turned out. "Lotus Surprise" is by Theresa Beebe and the pattern is posted HERE at Pattern-Collections.com.

UPDATE: The Pattern-Collections website has shut down. Click HERE to view this pattern.

6 comments:

  1. Love all these lacey explorations. Some tangles clearly work better with this look than others. I think Lotus Surprise is my favourite. I wonder how sections of lace on a tile, along with standard B&W tangling could look. A way to add a lighter layer - sort of an alternative to Tranzending?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drawing an aura around some of them helped with the lace look.

      Adding a lace panel between sections of regular B&W tangles might look cool and certainly worth a try. It wouldn't work on a white tile though.

      Delete
  2. Loved your Gardenia in white on brown paper. Would love to know what brand of white pen you use, as I have had absolutely no luck with white pens thus far. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pekoe. I used a size 10 white Gelly Roll pen. On some of my lace tiles, I used a size 8 Gelly Roll.

      Delete