Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Today's Tangle - Mintea


"Mintea" is by Vandana Krishna CZT and her step-out is posted HERE at TanglePatterns.com. I'm not sure why, but when I tried this pattern a while back, I wasn't happy with my results and put the pattern aside. I watched THIS video by Tangle Dream recently and I loved the lace effect that she creates with "Mintea". So, I just had to try it again and this time I was so pleased with the result that I drew a second tile.

I had seen this kind of lace effect here and there online before with other tangles but this was the first time that I really understood how it was done. The design is drawn with a white Gelly Roll, the lace is filled in with a white charcoal pencil and the shading is done with graphite. I will keep an eye out for other patterns to try this technique on.

In the Tangle Dream video, she embellishes "Mintea" a bit. I tried what she did but in the end I prefer the simpler look of the original design.


6 comments:

  1. These are beautiful patterns, I'm going to have to source grey paper and try these out, I love these...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I can't decide if I like the grey or the kraft paper the best. I love them both. I also have some dark blue card stock that I might try but it might be too dark for the graphite shading to show up. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. I love what you've done here and I think the tangled lace looks more effective on the coloured paper you used as opposed to black where I've seen it more.

    The graphite is the stage that really does it - gives it that sense of the lace lying on the paper.

    I really want to try this properly at some time - I had a tiny taster using Krokus. Not sure if you saw it at the time?!

    https://raggedray.blogspot.com/2018/08/for-your-eyes-only.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen your Krokus tile and I like it. Today I'm looking through all of the patterns that I've downloaded to get more ideas to try with this technique.

      Delete