Sunday, October 6, 2019

Today's Tangle - The Italian Tangle Video Tutorial


This was a blast to draw and color. I followed THIS YouTube tutorial by Romi Marks (Tangled Yogi). I didn't want to draw this on an Apprentice size tile so I drew a rough practice tile first to get a feel for how to fit everything on a regular 3 1/2 x 3 1/2" tile. It really wasn't too difficult to scale it down. While watching the video, I just ignored the measurements that Romi suggests and paid more attention to the amount of space between the elements as she drew them.

I drew a few of the elements a little differently than suggested in the video. I added one more "Henna Drum" petal on each side of the corner designs. I left the "Tipple" orbs plain but drew some lines on the bars that connect them. I also omitted the swags along the outside border and drew my borders very simply. Although you can't tell this, I drew the "Leafgo" flowers before drawing the "Mookas" because I found that I didn't always have enough space for them if I drew the "Mooka" scrolls first. 


I'm hoping to work my way through all of Romi's video lessons because they're so much fun. Back in July, I blogged HERE about some tiles that I drew from her "Southwest Mathura" video lesson.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful piece. I really like the results that people share from Romi's video lessons. I really must do one at some point - although I might have to tone down the colours a bit - I'm more muted in my tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jem. They really are a lot of fun and I like that I get to draw some kinds of things that I normally wouldn't. They also inspire me to try colors that I might not use together otherwise. I will be blogging about another Romi video tomorrow and you'll see that my choice of colors didn't work for me even though (or maybe because) I used more muted colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply gorgeous. Great colors and consistency. I'm curious about the shading ... is the card stock smooth or textured?

    Barbara H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. I used cream colored card stock that is fairly smooth and doesn't have any texture. Although the finish is smooth, it's not slick.

      Delete