Thursday, September 13, 2018

Thursday's Tangle - Project Pack #03 Part 6B



This tangle doesn't actually have a name. Maria Thomas drew this design in the second part of the Zentangle Project Pack #03 (Part 6) video which you can watch HERE. I colored my example like she did in the Project Pack #03 - (Part 9) video which you can watch HERE. Maria used watercolor pencils in the video and they come in Project Pack #03, if you buy it. I used regular colored pencils and blended the colors with odorless mineral spirits for a similar watercolor effect.
 

METALLIC GEL PENS

A week or so ago, I ordered several metallic gel pens from JetPens. Besides some brands that I had never used before, I found some Gelly Roll metallic colors that aren't available in local stores. They're all very nice pens with the exception of the Pentel Slicci set that came with three metallic colors. I'm very disappointed in those even though I had read very good reviews of them online. The pens feel very cheap and they skip horribly when I draw or write with them. The Silver Slicci pen is the worst of the three. It barely writes at all. If I get the ink flowing on scrap paper, I'm lucky if I can write three or four words before the ink disappears. The Bronze and Gold work somewhat better than the Silver but the colors are a bit odd. The Bronze is a very red color that's even redder than copper and the Gold is a little too greenish. I paid $8.00 for the set of three which works out to $2.66 each so they're rather expensive considering the poor quality of them.

For not that much more than the Slicci pens at $2.80, the Uni-ball Signo Noble Metal Metallic Bronze pen is a nice shade of bronze and it writes very smoothly. The Yasutomo Y&C Gel Xtreme Gel Pen Metallic Bronze was only $1.20 and it writes very nicely too. It has a finer tip than the Uni-ball, Slicci and Gelly Roll pens.

The new Gelly Roll colors that I got are Metallic Sepia, Metallic Burgundy and Metallic Hunter Green. I already had some in Metallic Silver, Metallic Gold, Metallic Copper and Metallic Blue Black (a metallic hematite color). I got the copper pens from Blick a while back and I can get silver, gold and blue black at Michaels. The one called "Burgundy" is really a sort of mauve color and is quite pretty. The Hunter Green is a sage green that's also very nice.

Below are samples of all of the metallic gel pen colors that I have on white paper and black paper.



No comments:

Post a Comment