Sunday, November 11, 2018

Official Zentangle® Patterns - Cogwheel, Dribbetz, Ellish, Hollibaugh, Isochor, Nekton, Ravel, Swarm & Tagh


Some of the tangles that I am blogging about today don't have officially published step-outs and some do. It was a challenge to find much online about some of them without a lot of searching. Rather than filling entire tiles with each of these tangles, I drew them on the sampler tile that you see above and also at the bottom of this post with each pattern labeled.

RAVEL

There was a time not too long ago when I had found examples, and many step-outs, of every one of the official tangles on Linda Farmer's list at TanglePatterns.com except for "Ravel". Every search that I did online came to a dead end because I could find no example images or information about it. About a month or so ago, I stumbled upon the tandika.com blog and the author of the blog is a CZT. The great thing is that she posts the pattern names under pretty much every tile posted on the blog. "Ravel" is shown on two different tiles and I figured out which tangle was "Ravel" through process of elimination. You can see both examples HERE and HERE. Assuming that these two examples were drawn as the unpublished CZT step-out shows, it looks quite a bit like a tangle called "Garlic Cloves". The difference that I see is that "Ravel" is arranged in distinct flower-like clusters of spokes and "Garlic Cloves" is very random.

DRIBBETZ

I don't know the source but there is an example of "Dribbetz" HERE on Pinterest. I also found several tiles featuring this tangle on tandika.com. You can see them HERE.

NEKTON

Although I couldn't find an official step-out for "Nekton", I did find one on Katy Abbott CZT's blog HERE. I also found several example tiles with this tangle on them at tandika.com HERE and a couple more on another blog HERE and HERE. Ellen Wolters has a video HERE.

COGWHEEL

It was very difficult to find examples of this tangle on Pinterest because a pattern by Melinda Barlow CZT with a similar name comes up instead. Melinda's is called "Wheel Cog" and it looks quite a bit different than "Cogwheel". I finally found out what it really looks like once again care of the tandika.com blog. Click HERE to see several tiles featuring "Cogwheel".

ELLISH

"Ellish" does have a published step-out HERE in the Zentangle newsletter. I found videos HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.

HOLLIBAUGH

You'll find a step-out for "Hollibaugh" HERE on Sandy Steen Bartholomew's blog. I found a lot of videos HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.

ISOCHOR

I haven't come across a step-out for "Isochor" but I have seen many examples of it online. Everyone seems to have a slightly different idea of what this tangle looks like so I just took a guess at which one is likely to be the most "official" when I drew mine. There is a very large example of it HERE on Flickr. Tandika.com has a different idea for this tangle. Take a look at THESE examples that I saw there. Ellen Wolters has a video HERE and I found one more video HERE.

SWARM

"Swarm" has an official step-out HERE and I found videos HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE. I find this pattern very difficult to draw. I can draw the first element without much trouble but adding on to it results in a huge mess every time I try. I got around that by drawing just a tiny sample.

TAGH

The closest thing that I can find for a step-out for "Tagh" is Adele Bruno's "Tips for Tangling TAGH" blog article which you can read HERE. I also found two videos HERE and HERE. I didn't draw my example quite right. The little "pips" on each petal shouldn't be as big as I drew them.


5 comments: