Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Tuesday's Tangle - Quli


"Quli" is by OlgaArtCat86 and her pattern is posted HERE on Flickr. It looked like it might be difficult to draw but the hardest part ended up being having to draw a very tiny box grid. I wanted to get as many elements on my tile as possible so I drew the grid on the diagonal from corner to corner. As long as I counted the squares on the grid carefully before drawing each step, it was pretty simple to draw and I love how it turned out.

I used metallic colored pencils and left an empty stripe down the center of each element. Next I used a white colored pencil to fill in the stripes. When I saw how the white pencil pulled the surrounding color into the center, I decided to scrub the white pencil back and forth to blend the color with the white a bit. As you can see, some of the colors overpowered the white more than others.

6 comments:

  1. A fun tangle. I'd like to try drawing it without the box grid - to see if that's possible without it getting too messy. I love the metallic look too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. You're braver than I am. If your idea works, will you post it on your blog?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I'm sure it will end up on there even if it's just a mess in my sketchbook!

      Delete
    3. I take a long time to get to these things - but I finally posted about trying out Quli without a starting grid. It's on the last image on the right hand side!

      http://raggedray.blogspot.com/2018/10/spiral-bound-scribblings.html

      Delete
    4. Your Quli turned out great! I also like your Quli-baugh.

      Delete
    5. Thanks. Yes - as you can see I'm putting holes in everything. I definitely want to use Quli more - thanks for introducing me to it!

      Delete