Thursday, December 27, 2018

Today's Tangles - Kelp, Lada & YEX


"Kelp" is a simple and cute pattern that can be used as a filler or as an embellishment. I don't recommend drawing an aura around "Kelp". I tried that and it changes the delicate look of it too much. You probably can't tell but I filled the leaves on my tile with a clear glitter pen just for fun. The step-out is by Nancy Domnauer and you'll find it HERE at TanglePatterns.com.


"Lada" is by Irina Sedova and the pattern is HERE at Pattern-Collections.com. Dawn Collins has a video about this pattern HERE.

UPDATE: The Pattern-Collections website has shut down. Click HERE to view this pattern.


When I saw the step-out for Jenny Perruzzi's "YEX" in a closed Facebook group that I belong to, I thought it was kind of cute. However, I was a little disappointed when I realized that the first step is to draw a hexagon and there are no instructions for how to do that. How many people can draw a hexagon freehand? I certainly can't. Through trial-and-error, I came up with a way to use a box grid as a guide to draw mine but it was more work than fun. As you can see, I tried a few different ways of filling the shapes after I filled a few of them as directed by the step-out. As far as I know, the step-out for this tangle hasn't been published anywhere except on Facebook.

3 comments:

  1. For a hexagon, draw three parallel lines and
    cross them with a perpendicular mid-line.
    Decide on a unit of measure (use the space between lines as the unit).

    On the first line put a dot 1/2-unit away from the mid-line, on each side.
    On line two, put a dot one-unit away on either side of mid-line.
    On line three, put a dot 1/2-unit on either side.

    Connect the dots. This may come out even, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Linda. I'll give it a try.

      Delete
    2. I assume that you draw the initial lines in pencil, right?

      Delete